Where does your school stand when it comes to risk?
How prepared are your staff, Board and Leadership Team for risks that could threaten safety, funding and relationships with key stakeholders, and even the future of your school?
Effective risk management in Australian Schools requires:
- Regular assessment of existing risks
- Identification of new and emerging risks
- Effective risk management through control and action plans.
The first critical step in addressing risk management at your school is to document a Risk Framework. The Risk Framework will be tailored to your school, taking account of your student numbers, finances and other pertinent issues. The 10-page Framework documents your commitment to the risk management process, including a tailored risk matrix and likelihood and consequence tables.
Enquire NOW about creating a Risk Framework
Risk Management Workshops
Once a risk framework is in place we can assist you in identifying, analysing, evaluating and treating your risks. This is best done in a workshop with members of your Board and/or Leadership Team, which has the added benefit of qualifying for Personal Development time as your team is trained in Risk Management.
At Risk4Schools, we have successfully conducted risk management workshops in Australian and Candian schools, both large and small, in a practical and engaging way. We provide your school Leadership Team and Board with the tools you need to effectively identify and manage risk. Typically this process can be completed in 2-4 weeks.
We are available to visit Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney. We are able to deliver interstate workshops in person, or via video conference, saving you time and cost.
Our approach includes:
- If applicable, reviewing any risk assessments previously done by the school to provide input for a risk brainstorming session
- Preparing and presenting a 60-90 minute awareness session to the School Leadership Team and/or Board on the topic of Risk Management with reference to the international standard ISO 31000:2018
- Facilitating a risk brainstorming session with the group to identify potential risks
- Facilitating several Risk Identification and Assessment workshops (usually up to 8 hours) with the School Leadership Team to vote on risks, using voting technology, and identifying controls and treatment plans to manage the risks identified
- Preparing a draft risk management report with assessment and planned management approach for the major risks (typically 10 to 20 risks) for discussion with management
- Preparing a final 20-30 page report, including Risk Heat Maps, suitable for presentation to the School Board
- Presenting findings to the School Board (if requested).
Common risk topics include:
- Competition - including service offerings, faclities and fees
- Financial threats - such as fraud or loss of funding or declining enrolments
- Governance - including ineffective Board, legal compliance
- Health and safety risks - for students or staff, excursions, overseas trips, inadequate staff training and/or adherence to policies
- Human resource issues - such as proper and comprehensive training for staff, effective communication and recruitment and retention
- IT risks - including loss of data, Cyber security and inadequate technology
- Operational challenges - including relationships with state and national organisations, quality of curriculum and teaching staff
- Strategic challenges - including lack of focus or clarity in strategic planning
Once we have a solid understanding of where your institution may be at risk, we draft a 20-30 page report that outlines:
- Areas of concern
- Levels of likelihood of an incident and levels of consequence
- Potential consequences in the event of an incident
- Treatment plans to improve management of the risk
- Ways in which we can assist you in reducing your level of risk through risk management training for staff.
This report can then form the basis of regular Board reporting on the progress of managing individual risks.
Begin the process now – enquire now to request a Risk Workshop for your school.